In addition to completing undergraduate training and four years of veterinary school, Board-certified Veterinary Specialists are similar to their human medical counterparts in that they have completed an internship and residency in their specialized field (an additional 3-5 years training). In addition to this extensive training, a Board-certified Veterinary Specialist must pass rigorous examinations to achieve Board certification from the ACVIM. Internal medicine specialists bring a greater understanding in the area of internal medicine, and have a greater knowledge of the unusual, the uncommon, or rare medical conditions. In addition, a Specialist may have diagnostic equipment not generally used by your family veterinarian.
As a board-certified internal medicine specialist, Dr. Britt Culver takes referral and second opinion appointments for complex medical cases. And of course, he is always available as a specialist for the clinic’s own patients.
If you are a referral/second opinion client, please go to our Resources page and download the forms you need there.
Dr. Culver and his staff provide the following services in these areas:
- Consultation on serious or confusing illnesses
- Comprehensive Endoscopy – bronchoscopy (lungs), cystoscopy (bladder & urethra), colonoscopy (colon & small bowel), gastroduodenoscopy (stomach & upper intestines), rhinoscopy (nasal cavity), laparoscopy (minimally invasive surgery for biopsies of internal organs)
- Oxygen therapy and blood gas evaluation
- Transfusion therapy — In-house blood bank, Blood typing and crossmatching, Blood component therapy
- Nutritional support — IV-delivered nutrition (total parenteral nutrition), Endoscopic positioning of feeding tubes
- Advanced laboratory testing of various tissue and blood samples.
- Comprehensive endocrinologic testing and treatment
- Biopsies of masses, internal organs, or bone marrow
- Continuous rate infusions of medications and chemotherapeutics
- Complete coagulation screening
- Intradermal allergy skin testing
- 6-lead electrocardiogram
- Comprehensive echocardiograms
- Direct and indirect blood pressure measurement
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Specialized imaging and biopsy techniques — Ultrasound guided biopsy of tumors, Flexible endoscopic biopsy of tumors, Laparoscopic and thoracoscopic tumor biopsy
- Chemotherapy – As a specialists Dr. Culver is able to offer new advanced drug therapies such as Melanoma Vaccine and Palladia for the treatment of Mast Cell Tumors
- Ultrasound guided chemical ablation of tumors
- Noninvasive endoscopic tumor removal
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) tap
- Intensive seizure management
- Muscle and nerve biopsies
Specialized Imaging Techniques
- Ultrasound — Cardiac (echocardiography), Color and spectral Doppler studies, Abdominal ultrasound, Thoracic ultrasound, Ultrasound Guided biopsies
- Digital Radiography
- Contrast Radiography — Barium gastrointestinal (stomach and intestines) studies, Cystourethrography (bladder and urethra), Intravenous urography (kidneys)
- Endoscopy – bronchoscopy (lungs), cystoscopy (bladder & urethra), colonoscopy (colon & small bowel), gastroduodenoscopy (stomach & upper intestines), rhinoscopy (nasal cavity), laparoscopy (minimally invasive surgery and biopsies of internal organs), thoroscopy (chest cavity)